Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Product Review: Plant Fusion Cookies N' Creme Protein

As you all know I am training for a body building competition in July. I drink at least 3 protein shakes a day. Chocolate and Vanilla are my staples. I don't mess with berry flavors because they usually end up tasting like crushed up Flintstones vitamins. Sometimes I drink the Vega One Chai flavor, if I am feeling wild... and when I am really good with managing my diet I sometimes have a half cup of berries left at the end of the day and I blend that into some vanilla with ice and pretend I am having a strawberry milkshake.
Anyway, back to the product I am supposed to be reviewing... I heard Vegan Proteins was going to be exclusively carrying a new flavor of Plant Fusion protein: Cookies N' Creme. I was very interested in trying it, I mean all I want in my life most days is a cookie. I have a pretty good back stock of protein at the house though and I couldn't really justify buying something else until I ran down some of the other stock. Then, LIKE MAGIC, I got a message from Giacomo (co-owner of Vegan Proteins and chief organizer of our bb group) that our group was being offered a sponsorship from plant fusion for the July competition... and what flavor would I like to try?? Duh, COOKIES!
Yesterday I got a box in the mail with several tubs of this new special flavor. Here are my thoughts:
1) How awesome is Plant Fusion for offering to sponsor a small group of vegan athletes so that we can make a large statement and hopefully huge impact on the body building world? Super super awesome. As far as I know they aren't a huge company and giving away that much product probably wasn't cheap for them so it is really cool that they would help us out.
2) It tastes great! But not like cookies... Well actually Trevor thinks it tastes kinda like cookies. When I asked him what type of cookies he said "I don't know, like sugar cookies or something"... Kinda vague baby... I don't think it really tastes like cookies, but I do like the flavor. I had it three times in the last 24 hours just to try to figure out what I DO think it tastes like but I couldn't pin point it.
3) Super good texture, that was the very first think I noticed when I opened the container. Very fine powder and silky mouthfeel. A nice change if you are used to hemp protein at all, or even rice. It mixed in to my shake in a shaker bottle very easily and stayed suspended well.
4) Already has lots of BCAA's and L-Glutamine, so you don't have to worry about additional supplementation.
5) This product has a very unique blend of 4 sources of protein: Pea, Artichoke, Amaranth, and Quinoa. I am pretty sure I have never seen any other products that contain artichoke, amaranth, or quinoa. This is awesome because I feel like I may be getting a unique spectrum of amino acids which I don't currently get from my other proteins which are mostly just different ratios of the same ingredients.
6) Contains digestive enzymes to help with absorption

Those are all the awesome things... the things I am not quite as hyped on are that it uses pea protein which is great for some reasons (fast digesting protein and inexpensive) but some people have a hard time digesting it. It will be interesting to see if the people I know who can't usually do pea protein without stomach issues can handle this because it is in a blend and has enzymes added. Also it's pea protein isolate... I don't know what current dogma I should actually listen to, and what is said to sell products but I sometimes hear isolates are hard on the body... Any thoughts?
Also my one other issue is that it has fructose added. Not a ton but honestly this stuff is pretty sweet. I drank it with unsweetened almond milk and it STILL seemed pretty sweet. I wouldn't drink it with sweetened milk unless you really like sweet stuff. I could do without the fructose.

All in all I am pretty excited about this product, would definitely recommend it and would encourage you to support the company because they support the community.
And because I think this stuff is so awesome and because VEGANPROTEINS.COM is SO COOL they are offering one lucky winner a FREE 1lb tub of the new flavor to try for themselves! If you want to be one of the first to try Plant Fusion Cookies N' Creme there are two ways you can enter.  Go like Vegan Proteins on Facebook and/or comment on this blog post with your favorite exercise. A winner will be chosen at random a week from today! But make sure you register with rafflecopter for your entries in this box below, I am using an app to randomly select the winner so they have to know you entered!

Win a free tub of Plant Fusion's new Cookies n' Creme Protein


14 comments:

  1. Impossible to choose a favorite. But I guess I will go with squats cause I think about them the most. - Michael Chinn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had their chocolate and vanilla flavors, and enjoyed both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite way to keep in shape is running. I just completed the Sedona, AZ half marathon, and I completed the Big Sur marathon in CA last year. Carried my Vega gels to keep me going on vegan power :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vanilla PlantFusion is my daily go-to in the morning (smoothie with non-dairy milk, banana and whatever frozen fruit I have) and sometimes at night for calorie-packed dessert (frozen bananas, non-dairy milk, PB and protein. YUM.) I'm thinking cookies'n creme would be perfect for treat time.

    Best of luck in your competition come July! I'm getting foundation laid now (TRX, running races and for conditioning, and now lifting!) and hope to compete likely in bikini, possibly figure if I can put on the muscle, in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is pretty legit.. I would love to be sponsored by a vegan line of protien. I suppose for now Ill just take the free tub. My favorite exercise, thats a tough one. Im all about functionality and foundational excercises so for me it would have to be a deadlift or a pullup/muscleup or maybe a jefferson lift, or good ol fashioned squat. but I love to clean and jerk or do thrusters, this is tough. anyways pick me, I think im running low on protien ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love cycling. I teach spin and am currently working to become a certified personal trainer. This would be a great win, as protein powders get pricey fast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. my favorite exercise is playing tennis.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The military press has to be my favorite. Hard work with that movement helped me move beyond some weakness I've had since getting hit by a car and breaking my collarbone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I run 20+ miles a week and hit the gym 2 or 3 times. My favorite singular exercise is doing renegade rows. They make me feel like a bad ass! Rawr!

    ReplyDelete
  10. single favorite? Push-ups rank pretty high. - D. Hatch

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lunges! The exercise I love to hate :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm going to have to go with Deadlifts, squats coming in at a close second though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favorite way to exercise is bodyweight training, especially unusual moves. Cookies and cream is one of my favs in another brand, so would love to try the Plant Fusion kind. :-)

    ReplyDelete