Sunday, January 15, 2012

Back to blogging...

I apologize for being remiss in my blogging regularity lately. There hasn't been much to write about so I have not written. In the past month or so I haven't been working out super consistently- mostly just running. You all know I hate running, but when I am lacking motivation in a training routine and I know I just need to get a workout in I turn to running. So I have been running 2-3 miles 3-4 days a week... it is certainly better than nothing but I have gotten pretty out of shape so it's time to reinvest in a regular routine that is a little more intense.
As usual when I am not doing any resistance training (and let's be honest, a bare minimum of cardio) I have gotten flubby. What that means for me is that I have actually lost a little weight, but my body fat has gone up. It seems to have gone up about 4-5% over where it was in September, although I doubt the accuracy of my body fat scale, I can definitely see my body fat has increased.
It is fortunate for me that at this time when I need motivation and a fresh start the new p90x (p90x2) has just come out. I know there are a lot of haters... but say what you will, I still stand by this video series as a great way to see results and give a balanced and consistent workout to those like me who can't afford a gym membership/trainer and have equipment at home.
The new edition seems to have shifted pretty dramatically with an intensified focus on core strength, which I think is awesome. I will give a little overview of what I have seen so far- but keep in mind I am only on the first week of the first phase. This program is split up into 3 phases, kinda like p90x. The difference is that X2 is structured in a way that allows a little more flexibility for the user to take more or less time in the different phases before moving on to the next. So depending on where your strengths and weaknesses lie, or how in or out of shape you are, you can adapt the workout to fit your needs. It works in a platform system, where you must master the first platform before moving up to the next. The first is a conditioning "foundation" phase, where you develop your core and balance. The second is a strength building phase, I am imagining it to be more like the weight lifting days in p90x, although if it follows the trend of the rest of the series I have seen so far there will be a lot more compound movements and full body involvement. Less static lifting. Phase three is a "performance" month... and I have no idea what is in store for me there, but I bet it will be hard.
There is a fair amount of equipment involved for this program... if you did p90x you will already have something figured out for weights/bands and for pull ups. For X2 you also need to add 1-4 medium weight medicine balls and a stability ball- though it would also be nice to have a yoga mat, foam roller, a step platform, and push up bars. Right now I am doing it with the select tech 5-50lb adjustable dumbbell set, push up bars, single bar pull up bar, a yoga mat, and a stability ball. I have been able to modify everything so far to work with my equipment but it would be nice to get the foam roller and at least one medicine ball in the future.
I took my weight and measurements on day 1 and I am looking forward to seeing my improvement by the end of the month and then the end of the series. I will continue to update you on my thoughts about this program as I go along. So far though I am pretty pleased... it's not just a repeat of p90x with new videos- it actually feels like and evolved program.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like fun. I STILL have not ordered the program. His 10 minute workout one looks great too.

    ReplyDelete