Sunday, June 12, 2011

New Directions...

If you read my last post you know I was feeling some frustration with my results so far from the last month and a half of working out like a mad woman. I was feeling like I was putting a lot more in than I was getting out of my workouts... I received a lot of encouragement and some sage words of advise and I have been reevaluating and restructuring my plan over the last week or so- hence why you haven't heard from me. I have been working on figuring it all out so I have something to report.
One thing I realized was that I was ignoring my own advise:
Girls- lift big or go home. I had been acting a bit timid when it came to lifting and going for less weight with more reps. I don't know why really... maybe that same fear that's placed in most girls brains about getting bulky... Let's face it, I am already bulky. Better to be bulky and have really firm muscle and less body fat than be bulky with soft muscle and pudge, I say. I have been upping my weight and lowering my reps... I found that in some cases I was lifting at half my ability! So 8-12 reps (still playing with weight a little bit to stick closer to the 8-10 mark) and as much weight as I can pull with good form.
I had a large variance in advice about cardio... from some people saying don't do it at all, you can get all your cardio through your weight lifting sessions to people advising to double the amount of cardio I was doing, and everywhere in between. Where I have ended up falling within that spectrum is right in the middle. I think I am actually doing just a little more than before... Instead of sticking strictly to the p90x plan I am adding in more normal active fun stuff that brings up my heart rate and increases my endurance. I have been skateboarding a few times a week, and of course still rollerskating once a week or so and trying to get out for more walks with the dog.
All my best boy friends are skateboarders and since its summertime and the weather is getting nicer they have been going a lot more. I have been refusing to learn to skateboard for quite a while now for a few reasons, but have finally given in and I am having a really good time, and getting a lot of bruises. I am so stubborn and I hate being bad at things... and you know, at almost 30, coming late into the game, I really feel like I am getting too old to learn something that takes so many years to get good at.... especially something that is so hard on a body. Also, I rode bmx for a good couple of years so skateboarders are my natural enemy ;) Regardless of all that, I am having a great time and just trying to go early to the parks before no one else is there so I can suck without anyone but my friends seeing. I have good girl friend who skates with a bunch of other girls and as soon as I am good enough to actually pick more up I am planning on going with her so she can school me and bang me up a bit.
I have been loosening up a little with my workout schedule- if I have a day where I skate for a few hours and then roller-skate that night I am taking the day off doing an actual workout... it's feeling pretty good so far and in the last week or two I have noticed a little more muscle definition which I am attributing to loss of body fat. Maybe. Whatever...
The other thing I think has been holding me back is just general life stress... I am feeling a bit crazy and hormonal and a little lost in my life right now and it is making me all kinds of anxious and insecure. I know I just need to stick it out and hang in there and wait for things to sort out a bit- but in the mean time I have for sure been having some rough patches. Nothing helps me more than being active and getting endorphins and serotonin going in my body- not to mention releasing anxiety and nervous energy. It's probably one of the few things that's keeping me from falling into a miserable depression. So yay for exercise! Thanks for reading and being such great supporters. Your input is super motivating and inspiring.



... baby steps

No comments:

Post a Comment