Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A guiltless confession...

Or why I don't do sit-ups and you don't have to either...
So I have to confess I only did the ab ripper workout for about 2 weeks in the middle of the program. I think I hate sit ups. At first I was like "I am just starting the program, I am going to give myself a break for a few weeks before I start doing the ab workout." Then I felt a little guilty because I knew I was just being lazy, so I did it a few times... Then I was like "It takes too much time, and I am too tired from the rest of my workout" and I would try and put it on my cardio days. Then I just quit it altogether. I have an injury that prevents me from rolling on my tailbone, so I was using that as an excuse to skip a few of the exercises... but the reality is I am kinda lazy and I don't like doing an entire 15 minute workout just on my stomach. The good news is that I don't really think doing a stomach workout is necessary.

I am only really bringing this up because the other day someone told me that my stomach looked great. Granted I don't have a six pack, and I won't at this rate, but unless it is really important to you to have super visible muscle definition in your stomach it is completely unnecessary to do a bunch of stomach specific exercises. What IS important is to have a strong core that supports your body and allows you to do other exercises correctly. I feel like I get all the core workout I need through push-ups, skating, singing, upper and lower body weight training, bike riding, etc. I just focus on keeping my core solid and using correct form when doing everything else. I do really like the core synergistic workout in the p90x series... That is how I prefer to strengthen my lower back and stomach- it feels so much more organic. So basically I am just here to give you permission to skip the sit-ups if you hate them and confess that I am a slacker. Oh, and the only way I think you could get me to do an ab workout is if someone were to challenge me to a six pack challenge... or something like that. Just throwing that out there...

No comments:

Post a Comment