Sunday, May 15, 2011

Pre workout nutrition...


Look familiar?
Then you may have done what I did this morning... A poor meal before your workout can make you feel like you are operating at 50%. Here are some quick tips to help you prepare for a great workout!

*get hydrated, drink your water!
*make sure to eat a light but calorically dense meal 20-45min before your workout, mess around with the timing to see what works for you- you need to have time to begin digesting but not so much time that you need more fuel... plus eating too soon before your workout can equal loosing your breakfast!
*eat a meal with a decent amount of protein, this will help sustain your blood sugar levels and help prevent excess muscle tissue damage
*eat a good amount of slowly digesting (low glycemic) carbs... something like whole wheat bread, oatmeal, whole grains, etc. they will release sugar into your body throughout your workout so you stay strong through the duration and have energy to work out at your maximum capacity

Sometimes I find that even after eating a good meal I still get a little shaky when I am working the big muscle groups like back, chest, and legs. Or if I am doing a super intense cardiovascular workout... Then it is a good idea to have some kind of drink or snack that has a combo of slow and fast releasing sugars... a good example of this would be dates and nuts or a fruit juice with some greens blended in. That way you have the quick pick up and the slower sustaining carbs to help you make it through. I rely heavily on Vega Sport Performance Optimizer. I don't mean for this blog to become an informercial but there are a few products that I really love and use regularly and I will always mention them by name. I want to support the companies that make these great products and let you know when I find something I think is great. I will always mention an alternative- like the juice, but if you want to spend the money Vega makes some great stuff.
Do you have a no fail pre workout meal? Let me know, I am always looking for something good. Lately my go to is an almond butter banana sandwich on Dave's Killer Bread... delicious and full of protein, carbs, and healthy fat.

5 comments:

  1. Whatever, Vega is outstanding-there's nothing wrong with promoting something that works! As far as a no-fail, I used to drink flavored vega with just water added for a quick something in the stomach, and it worked well, but I've since switched to the plain flavor because it goes better with actual smoothies (it's taste-neutral). Tomorrow's actually going to be the first day I try it out, and I'm not sure what I should combine it with. I'm leaning towards an apple and a banana. Any input on that idea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS and a date or two, of course ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had my best performance at the gym after eating 2 Gardein chick'n scallopini patties on Daves Killer Bread with a little vegenaise the other day. I've been eating lots of Gardein products on a high protein, low-glycemic-carb diet, in fact. I just tried the new Gardein burgers, and they are bomb!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Justin- Is it the protein or is it the meal replacer? I can't handle the vega meal replacer, I really want to love it but the crushed up vitamin taste makes me literally gag and I have to fight to get it down, it is stressful. I have yet to find anything to mix it with that can mask that taste. I love all their other products... shake and go, and the vega sport line.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good sharing useful nutrition informative, thank you! See also more and compare for best prices deals for Pre Workout Nutrition here!

    ReplyDelete