Friday, May 6, 2011

P90X on a Vegan Diet

So I have mentioned before that my current workout plan is p90x. If you don't know what it is here is some info from the wiki

"P90X is a 90-day program that combines a variety of exercise techniques including strength training, cardio, yoga, plyometrics, and stretching".

On this program you work out 6 days a week, alternating between a lifting day and a cardio day, with the 7th day being a stretch or rest day. It is a very high intensity work out and definitely requires some attention to diet. The program also comes with a suggested diet guide which I have always ignored in favor of simply eating a nutritionally dense plant based diet with an increased number of calories and a higher percentage of calories obtained from protein. I have done the routine a full 90 days before, and did it about 40 days a second time before being a quitter and taking a few months off to be lazy. I did not notice DRASTIC body results, but did notice an large increase in strength and a definite change in my body shape. I think that part of the reason I didn't see drastic body fat loss, which would then increase muscle definition, is because I refuse to do the diet plan.
For me, the commitment to exercising 6 days a week, for at least an hour, is large enough without messing with my diet. I have always been curious about what would happen if I did though, and now we have 2 self sacrificing guinea pigs to observe while they do just this! The diet is not vegan friendly, although isn't too hard to make vegan- it is just really limiting and contrary to what I consider healthy eating.
The lovely folks over at Vegan Proteins just started their 90 day P90X cycle and are committing to following the diet plan to see just how well it works. I will be following their blog to see what and how they are eating and what their results are. You can get to it here or click the link on the sidebar to find their page. It should be interesting...
I am now on the first day of my third week. Trying to stay off the scale until at least 30 days in... I have already noticed an increase in strength since the first week. For instance, today I did 56 more push ups than I was able to the first week! I am feeling good, and seeing some change in my shape already. I was being a baby and haven't been doing the 15 minute core workout (ab ripper X) on the 1st, 3rd, and 5th days of the weekly routine, but started that today. I was trying to be nice to myself and ease into it. So far I am happy with my results and I am looking forward to seeing where I am in another 2.5 months!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! I have to agree, this isn't what i call "healthy eating" either, more like super extreme eating. Hopefully it will smooth out a bit soon...i.e when we get our veggies back! Way to go on 2 weeks down!

    ReplyDelete