Wednesday, May 25, 2011

My favorite things...

I got my foot tattooed sunday night, I am trying to finish up my tattoo plans before summer since I don't get tattooed during months where it may be possible to go swimming... So I have not been able to do my workout for the last 3 days... My foot has been super swollen, and there's no way I could even walk on it for the first few days, let alone jump around. Today it is a lot better and I think tomorrow I will be able to pick back up, today I did the ab ripper, so at least that was something... I am feeling restless and lazy, so I thought a blog post was in order.
Sometimes things come up, injuries, tattoos, crazy work schedules, etc., that stop us from being able to do our workout as normal and it is hard not to get discouraged or let the set back throw you off. I am trying to start a new habit for myself when this happens and instead of just getting lazy or frustrated and forgetting about my fitness I am putting in the effort to stay motivated and focused by staying up on my blog and the other awesome ones I list on the right, reading nutrition and body building books, and keeping my diet healthy. I decided to post my "favorite things" and tell you what I love and why when it comes to working out!


Vega Sport
Vega is formulated by professional vegan ironman triathlete Brendan Brazier. He created the line to make commercial versions of the products he would make himself at home for his personal performance diet. I personally feel like this is the BEST brand out there when it comes to dietary supplementation. I trust the ingredients and the integrity of all vega products. That being said, the new sport line is my favorite. The Performance Optimizer is basically like healthy gatorade PLUS herbs and roots that help the recovery process while you work out. The Protein is a balanced, easy to digest, protein blend with a mellow flavor... I hear chocolate is coming out soon and I can't wait. The Vega bars are great too, and Wholefoods near my house is having a sale on them starting this week.



Sunwarrior Protein
Raw, vegan, highly digestible, tastes super good and has a great silky texture... what else can I say? It is amazing... This protein is made from sprouted brown rice and is one of the least expensive high quality protein supplements on the market. It comes in Chocolate, Vanilla, and Natural Flavors.



My Pull Up Bar <3
This speaks for itself... How many girls, how many people, can actually lift their body weight with their arms at least one time? Not many... My aim is to increase my current record of two pull-ups to at least 4 unassisted pull-ups by the end of july. Talk about a survival skill: what if you were dangling from a building about to fall to your death and the only chance at life was to pull yourself to the top?! That happens to people all the time, right?


SelectTech Dumbbells and my Pushup Bars
The dumbbells replace 15 sets of weights. The weights adjust from 5 to 52.5 lbs. (2.5 lb. increments the first 25 lbs.). They are super easy to use with adjustable dials that control which plates attach to the bars for weights. They are compact and are very quick to change out. My only complaint with them is that sometimes they are a little wide for my body, when doing triceps or other muscle groups that require me to keep my arms tight to my body. Then again, most barbells would be.
Push up bars are really great if you have wrists that hyperextend or get sore from pushups, they also allow you a much larger range of motion so you can work the full length of the muscle.



VITAMIX
My favorite of ALL of my kitchen tools. Completely liquifies greens, nuts, or really WHATEVER so that you can easily digest and quickly absorb nutrients. Look at refurbished blenders for a great price. I literally use my vitamin every day.



P90X
You guys all know I swear by p90x as a workout program... here is why: It incorporates cardiovascular exercise, load bearing exercise, and stretching into a fun, challenging, and effective daily workout. The program takes away the effort of having to do your own planning and presents you with a super balanced, and excuse proof ticket to fitness, right in the comfort of your own home. All you have to do is press play. I love that this program IS so balanced, as it is my belief that strong bodies are healthy and sexy. It has been the trend for women to focus primarily on aerobic exercise and ignore the load bearing weight focused programs... Weight lifting has been shown to increase metabolism, and improve bone density (which prevents osteoporosis!), so ladies: PICK UP THOSE WEIGHTS and GET HUGE!

I get all my proteins and supplements from Vegan Proteins. I love being able to support other vegans who are trying to be their own bosses and promote a healthy vegan lifestyle. Consider purchasing from them next time you are shopping for supplements.

If you made it this far, congratulations! I promise to get back to work tomorrow and give you my one month update very soon!

2 comments:

  1. Hey girl If you want to increase the amount of pull-ups you can do really focus on doing slow negatives from the top! Even if you have to jump up to get your chin over the bar. Also you could try doing a few sets of one or two reps at a time with a good rest in between, you can do this on the days you don't do negatives. This is how I get shit done! Soon you will be doing 5 sets of 6.
    Love,
    Candace

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is from the girl who's a pull up machine with a baby in her belly- I guess I better listen ;)

    ReplyDelete